The Department of Computer Science offers a 2-year Associate Degree Program in Database Management System and is equivalent to a 14-year Bachelor Degree. Database Management System is dynamic field that all organizations demand to computerize their existing system in order to meet the challenges of the 21st century that is on the cutting edge of computer technology as there is always a need for the professionals Database designer and developer. This new and exciting degree program offered by Virtual University of Pakistan equips you with such skills and enables you to develop Databases using latest tools and techniques. During this study program you will learn to develop Database Modeling and Design, Database Programming using Oracle 11i, Web based Database Applications, Programming techniques, Information Security as well as advanced Concept of Cloud based Applications, Visual Programming and Big Data Concepts.
Note:The students, after obtaining the degree, may take admission in 5th Semester of BS Computer Science (4 – Year) Program.
The program will enable the students
- To learn basic concepts like data and information processing.
- To understand the role of a database management system in an organization and learn basic and advanced database concepts, including the structure and operation of the relational data model and designs.
- To have technical and hands-on experience on database development, maintenance, administration and information security.
- To have hands-on experience of web based database development including front end development, design and database connectivity.
- To develop foundation and high level concepts of system development process including different modules and techniques.
Admission Eligibility Criteria
Intermediate (equivalent to 12 years of education) with at least 45% marks.
- Candidates having ‘A’ levels are required to provide equivalence certificate from Inter Board Committee of Chairman (IBCC), Islamabad. (http://www.ibcc.edu.pk/)
- Candidates having less than 45% marks will be eligible for admission after successful completion of “Zero Semester”.
Course(s) exemption is not allowed..
It is two-year full time study program spread over four semesters. Each semester has at least 18 weeks duration for teaching and examinations etc.
Courses of Study
Click here to View Study Scheme
Assessment of Study Progress
The students’ study progress evaluation mechanism is based on continuous assessment throughout the semester by giving assignments, on-line quizzes, Graded Discussion Boards (GDBs), mid-term and final-term exams. The mid and final term exams are conducted at VU’s designated exam centers and usually count for 80 to 85% of the total marks for a course.
Students are required to complete a Project of 3 credit hours in the final semester of the Program. The choice of the final project is at the student’s discretion. However, approval of the final project from the student advisor is compulsory.
Award of Degree
To be eligible for the award of Associate Degree in in Database Management System candidates are required to complete at least 66 credit hours course work program by attending minimum 4-semesters with at least Cumulative Grade Point Average of 2 out of 4.
Click here to View Fee Structure
- The courses may be revised time to time as a result of continuous review to bring them at par with courses from being taught at top-class foreign universities. While reviewing the courses, needs of local industry and job market are also given full consideration.
- The University reserves the right to change fee structure from time to time.