The Department of Computer Science offers a four-year program leading to either a BS degree in Information Technology. The specialization is determined by the choice of required and elective courses taken by a student. The programs are designed to meet the growing need for computer science / IT experts in the rapidly evolving 21st century economy. Their mission is to provide graduates with a strong Computer Science / IT base that will enable them to capitalize on the increasing career opportunities in the information technology sector, to expand the limits of their knowledge by pursuing further studies, and to explore innovative approaches to computer or information technology related problems. These specializations provide highly demanded expertise, a great mobility and flexibility, and an impressive range of possible career choices in the IT industry.
The Strategic objectives of BSIT program are:
- To develop eLearning student with knowledge of concepts, theories, application and practices associated with the IT world.
- To prepare eLearning student with an innovative practices related to IT application for solving Information Technology/business operations and strategies productivity in local and global platform.
- To provide eLearning student with an ability to use and analyze software programs tools effectively.
- To provide eLearning student with awareness of ethical, social, interpersonal and communication skills effectively.
- To develop eLearning student with refinement of analytical, logical and critical thinking.
- To Inculcate and enhance research abilities of students in respective fields.
- To prepare eLearning student with an ability to proper use of electronic media technologies for interacting with teachers appropriately in virtual environment.
Admission Eligibility Criteria
Intermediate (equivalent to 12 years of education) with at least 45% marks.
- Candidates having ‘A’ levels are required to provide equivalence certificate from Inter Board Committee of Chairman (IBCC), Islamabad. (http://www.ibcc.edu.pk/)
- Candidates having less than 45% marks will be eligible for admission after successful completion of “Zero Semester”.
Course(s) exemption is allowed.
It is a four-year study program spread over eight semesters. Each semester has at least 18 weeks duration for teaching and examinations etc.
Courses of Study
Click here to View Study Scheme of BS Information Technology
Assessment of Study Progress
The students’ study progress evaluation mechanism is based on continuous assessment throughout the semester by giving assignments, on-line quizzes, Graded Discussion Boards (GDBs), mid-term and final-term exams. The mid and final term exams are conducted at VU’s designated exam centers and usually count for 80 to 85% of the total marks for a course.
Students are required to complete a project of 6 credit hours in the final year of their BS degree program. The choice of the final project is at the student’s discretion. However, consultation with the student advisor is compulsory. Students have to submit a detailed write-up of the project and in some cases may be required to give a presentation.
Award of Degree
To be eligible for the award BS in Information Technology degree, the students are required to complete prescribed course work of 132 credit hours with a minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 2.0 out of 4.
Click here to View Fee Structure
- The courses may be revised time to time as a result of continuous review to bring them at par with courses from being taught at top-class foreign universities. While reviewing the courses, needs of local industry and job market are also given full consideration.
- The University reserves the right to change fee structure from time to time.