The Departments of Computer Science & Information Technology of Virtual University of Pakistan has proposed to offer 4-year BS in Software Engineering program to fulfill the needs of rapidly growing market of software development in the country. The BS in Software Engineering degree will equip students with technical knowledge of the fundamentals of computer systems, programming languages, and the mathematical foundations of algorithms and data structures that are required to establish reliability and safety in software. The course emphasizes the development of professional skills in the technical area of software engineering, that is, the systematic application of analysis, design, and construction techniques for computer systems and applications.
The objective of the program is to prepare students for professional careers in software engineering .The Strategic objectives of BSSE program are:
- To develop eLearning student with knowledge of concepts, theories, application and practices associated with the principles of Software Engineering .
- To prepare eLearning student with an awareness of current industry standards and practices for designing, implementing, developing, deploying high quality software solutions and maintain software systems productivity in local and global platform.
- To provide eLearning student with an ability to use and analyze software programs tools effectively.
- To provide eLearning student with awareness of ethical, social, interpersonal and communication skills effectively.
- To develop eLearning student with refinement of analytical, logical and critical thinking.
- To Inculcate and enhance research abilities of students in Software Engineering fields.
- To prepare eLearning student with an ability to proper use of electronic media technologies for interacting with teachers appropriately in virtual environment.
Admission Eligibility Criteria
Intermediate (equivalent to 12 years of education) with at least 45% marks.
- Candidates having ‘A’ levels are required to provide equivalence certificate from Inter Board Committee of Chairman (IBCC), Islamabad. (http://www.ibcc.edu.pk/)
- Candidates having less than 45% marks will be eligible for admission after successful completion of “Zero Semester”.
It is a four-year study program spread over eight semesters. Each semester has at least 18 weeks duration for teaching and examinations etc.
Course(s) exemption is allowed.
Courses of Study
Click here to View Study Scheme
Assessment of Study Progress
The students’ study progress evaluation mechanism is based on continuous assessment throughout the semester by giving assignments, on-line quizzes, Graded Discussion Boards (GDBs), mid-term and final-term exams. The mid and final term exams are conducted at VU’s designated exam centers and usually count for 80 to 85% of the total marks for a course.
Award of Degree
To be eligible for the award BS in Software Engineering degree, the students are required to complete prescribed number of credit hours with a minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 2.0 out of 4.
Click here to View Fee Structure
- The courses may be revised time to time as a result of continuous review to bring them at par with courses from being taught at top-class foreign universities. While reviewing the courses, needs of local industry and job market are also given full consideration.
- The University reserves the right to change fee structure from time to time.